Deuteronomy 16:15

Deuteronomy 16:15
For the LORD your God will bless you in all your harvest and in all the work of your hands, and your joy will be complete.



Friday, March 30, 2012

Resurrection Eggs - Day 1

On Tuesday we opened our first Resurrection Egg! If you are not familiar with Resurrection Eggs, here is a quick run down. Basically, they are a dozen plastic eggs, each filled with some type of item that is a reminder of the Easter story. The first egg has a donkey to remind us of Palm Sunday, and Jesus riding into Jerusalem on a donkey. The second egg has some coins, to remind us of Judas taking the 30 coins to betray Jesus, and on it goes! I just ordered them here from Amazon. If you want to make your own Resurrection Eggs, you can go here to get some free printables. They are not expensive, and to me, well worth the cost to have the real items the kids can feel in each egg. In addition to the eggs, comes a little devotional with what scripture to read with each egg, and discussion ideas. We are already on egg/day #4, but I thought I would share what we did on the first day so you could get an idea of the types of things we are doing each day leading up to Easter!


Here Naomi was getting ready to open the first egg. She was VERY excited!


You can't really see it, but in the first egg was a little donkey. We happened to have a book about the donkey Jesus borrowed, so we read that too. We also learned a song about Palm Sunday! I didn't get a video to post here, but I will try to put one up on Facebook.


Here the kids are cutting out the palm branches to make a path for Jesus to Jerusalem. We aren't doing crafts to go with the eggs every day, but this one we couldn't pass up! Naomi did the cutting, and Nathan did a lot of the gluing, with help from sister too! I was pleased how nicely they worked together on this.


They were very proud of their finished work!


A close up of the finished product. I got the idea for this from Christian Preschool Printables. I have a love/hate relationship with this site. I LOVE it because they have tons of great ideas and free printables. I hate it because it's hard to find anything, and I think that the graphics they use are creepy. I would give you the exact link for this craft but (shock!) I can't find it on their site again!


Here the kids are playing a counting game using the dice. They would roll the dice, and then stamp that many palm leaves on the path to Jerusalem. Nathan just stamped wherever he wanted, but they both still liked it! I got this printable, and tons of great discussion ideas from 2 Teaching Mommies. Be sure to check out their ideas for resurrection eggs!


The kids LOVE opening these eggs each day, and this has provided us with lots of great discussion opportunities. The activities we've been doing to go along with have been so much fun too. I love how this has really kept us focused on the true meaning of Easter.

Karla

No comments: